He's been crying a lot lately. It's easy to be worried that this is a lasting change in his personality, but the real issues are that he has been sick for the past week, and his incoming teeth are bothering him. So we'll see if his temperament improves over the next couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I'm not always able to give him the comfort he needs. Poor Ben.
I see his personality emerging in leaps and bounds through all this, though. Not in any specific way. When I notice these types of changes in my kids, it always scares me a little -- in a healthy way. Each of these moments appears to me as a tiny burst of independence from me. It's exciting and frightening to be reminded that these kids are their own people.
Fortunately, I think we finally have a very solid schedule. Wake up between 7am-8am, sleep from about 10:30am-noon, sleep again from about 2:30pm-4:30pm, then down for the night again at 8pm. There is still some variation in what happens at night, though. Two weeks ago, I was exhausted because he would wake up to nurse three or four times during that twelve hours. Now, it's just twice, but both times can be kind of strange. Once he woke up at 10:30pm when he normally doesn't wake up until midnight or later. Unfortunately I had a drink that night, so couldn't nurse him back to sleep right away. Last night, he woke up at about 4am to nurse, which is what I want him to do. However, he was hyper and agitated and did not go back to sleep! So I tried rocking him for a little while, but he only seemed to get more hyper. Finally, I put him in his swing, which he often sleeps in during the day. I thought maybe being there would cue him that it was time to sleep. No such luck... he cried for a half hour straight before finally falling asleep. I felt terrible. But all my options seemed to send a bad message: either that it's ok to be awake and playful in the middle of the night, that someone will come if he just cries long enough, or that no one will come no matter how much he cries.
I don't mean to sound too negative. He's still VERY good-natured and loves to interact with people. He'll give just about anyone a big smile! Here are some extra pictures from the past month or two:
No comments:
Post a Comment